Studies Show Benefits of Having a Doula
There are many circumstances and choices that effect the outcome of each birth. However, studies have shown that women who receive continuous labour support, especially by a trained doula, are more likely to enjoy the following benefits.
Effects on Birth Outcomes:
· Shorter labours
· Fewer complications
· Reduced cesarean rates
· Less need for oxytocin to speed up labour
· Reduced need for forceps
· Women request less pain medication and epidurals
Effects on the Mother:
· Greater satisfaction with their birth experience.
· More positive assessments of their babies.
· Less postpartum depression.
Effects on the Baby:
· Babies have shorter hospital stays with fewer admissions to special care nurseries.
· Babies breastfeed more easily.
· Mothers are more affectionate to their babies postpartum.
Effects on the Health Care System:
· The cost of obstetrical care is dramatically reduced.
· Women are pleased with the personalized care doulas offer.
The Benefit of Continuous Support in Labour is recognized by:
· The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada http://www.sogc.org
· The World Health Organization http://www.who.int